Monday, January 24, 2011

You know what really Grindrs my gears?

If you're a fag (or, you know, "curious") and have an iPhone or a similar device (like yours truly) I'm sure as shit you know all about the application called Grindr. iPhones and phones like it can do anything these days, and helping you hook up is no exception. Gay men have been hooking up forever, though, so how is this ANY different? Because unlike "back in the day" you don't need to know certain gestures or the gay handkerchief code -- all you need is your phone.

When I became an iDouche I just 'had' to check out Grindr. I had heard so much about it from my friends and I wanted to see what it was all about. Also, social networking (even Grindr) is an AMAZING promotional tool. It gave me a chance to get some exposure from the locals and to whore out not myself, but my show.

I have friends who use Grindr. Some use it for sex, some use it for friends, and some use it for networking like myself. As long as you're safe and know what you're doing, then sister, go to town. Seriously. I can't judge. Do your thing, but know the risks.

Grindr, if you're not familiar, allows you to have your mobile device track where you're at. It will show the men who are closest to you.. and just how close they are. It could be miles, it could be feet. Now, this option can be disabled of course, but from my experiences on Grindr, most of the time people have it enabled. This feature HAS lead to sexual violence and it will again. It is INEVITABLE, just like sexual violence is inevitable from any other form of "hooking up." The thing about Grindr, though, is that it makes it easier for predators.

Everyone is so worried about gay teen suicide invoked by bullying. What about gay teen MURDER? Grindr is an application for adults (that's 18+ for all of you registered sex offenders) and of course that's how it should be. But, just like chatrooms and social networking sites.. the young gays always find a way to slip right in. And it isn't that difficult. I'm bringing this up because while on Grindr recently, a 16-year-old sent me a message. Now, whether or not this boy was real is up for debate, but it still REALLY concerned me.

Grindr states that they are strict about being a resource ONLY for adults (again, that's 18+ ;p) .. but this kid has ON HIS PROFILE and ON HIS HEADLINE that he's 16. Where's the moderation? What the hell is going on? Now, I know I'm an iNoob, but I'm still in shock. I had a talk with this kid.. I had to. I felt like if I didn't I would lose sleep over it. I'm not going to provide screen names and I've cleaned up some spelling errors and whatnot, but here it is:

Kid: Hey
Parker: 16? I don't wanna lecture but.. you should delete this app. This isn't what gay life is about, really. and there are some really scary guys on here Parker: Even if you don't take my advice, at least be careful.. please
Kid: I will :) I know what's out there and I know what signs to look out for. Thanks :)
Parker: That's what I thought too when I was around your age.. you'd best be careful

You know what's out there? YOU'RE 16 YEARS OLD! How could you possibly KNOW what's out there? I mean, fuck, when I was 16 I won't lie.. I did my fair share of partying, but most of that involved stealing a bottle of cheap tequila from my parents and sipping on it with a few friends outside. Oh, and you know what "signs" to look out for? You're 16, you're not that intuitive.. and plus, even if you were, how the hell can you just "tell" .. it's online! No.. not even.. it's on the phone!

When I was 16 I didn't even have a cell phone. So much has changed since then. But you know, I wonder.. if things were different, and I was 16 at this point in time with an iPhone and the Grindr application.. what would I be doing? I remember being curious at that age, but it wasn't EASY. It wasn't CONVENIENT. Now it is. You can literally hook up with a few swipes of your finger. Even if you're a minor. And trust me, there are always sick perverts who are MORE than willing to take the risk.

Listen, I know what some of you are thinking. Yes, the internet has been around for a long time and yes, it's quite easy to hook up from it.. all I'm saying is that now with applications like Grindr, it's EASIER and a minor won't HAVE to load up their PC or laptop to lurk around in the usually heavy moderated adult personals sites.. they can just slide into a private area, take out their mobile device and BAM. There's their location. There's their picture. Their personal information. There's everything he needs in order to turn his first, and maybe LAST trick.

Want to be raped, beaten senseless and tossed into a dumpster at age 16? There's an app for that.

DLP

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you are concerned for the youngins, most people would just ignore him. And you didn't! I have to admit I have grindr on my phone as well *SHOCKING* I know, but like you I use it in a non-sexual way, if I saw a kid on grindr I'd probably do the same thing. <3

    -KP

    ReplyDelete